Thursday, January 7, 2010

Some Pictures


Below are some pictures of the Eid El Kabir. I have not included any really brutal slaughtering images, but there may or may not be some blood in the pictures... sorry. Enjoy!

First things first. Starting in the wee hours of the morning, my host mom started making mulawi. Its a delicious flaky, oily, bread that goes great with jam.

Next, my host brother prepares the knifes. I suppose you could use the saying "Knives out!" literally here.

Then the donkey is readied. Basically he is just moved far away from the slaughtering so he doesn't disturb the sheep.

BAP! Its done. The sheep is dead in one fell swoop of the large knife in my grandfathers hand. I'm standing behind the poor creature with my host dad who is getting ready to skin it and dismember the entire animal.

Si Mohammed, my host brother, seemed fairly happy that the sheep was ready. This mean MEAT for weeks to come!


Merriem, however, seemed a bit upset. Granted she is still a baby, but she needed some comforting by my host brother.

Here she is contemplating the past events. Why is that fuzzy thing that was moving now on the ground and not moving?

The head roasting on the grill. This is the first thing to get cooked. Once it is severed from the animal they immediately place it on the grill. I guess it is meant to prevent flys and other insects from getting their paws on the brains and such.

What you are looking at now is my grandfather taking all of the innards out of the sheep. They kind of smell. After this he will blow through the butt to make sure all the excess poop has been discharged. Don't worry. I don't have a picture of that.


Here is the view from the cafe I frequent: the snow covered peaks of Bou Iblane. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment